Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Big Soccer Game Wed. Night- Turkey vs. Greece

I will be working tomorrow night, and well I don't have satellite tv. But, I am told this will be a huge game. I have to wonder which FIFA official thought it would be a good idea to put ethnic rivals in the same brackett!

Both countries have produced quality teams in recent years. The Turkish national soccer team finished fourth in the 2002 World Cup, which was held in South Korea and Japan.

Diplomatic relations between the two countries have considerably improved in recent years, thanks to 'earthquake diplomacy.' I just hope it doesn't take another earthquake, such as the ones the two countries experienced separately in 1999, to bring my father's country and Greece back to the dinner table after this game!

For those looking to eat either Turkish or Greek food. I recommend the following places in North Carolina:

Tallula's (Turkish)

Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.tallulas.com

The Acropolis, now celebrating their 40th anniversary.

Greensboro, NC

336-273-3306

Update: Well, Greece won the game in Istanbul by a 1-0 score tonight. But, Turkey is still hasn't been eliminated. Interestingly enough, Noway is winning the group. I guess this means we will have to reclaim that uninhabited goat island in the Aegean.

 

No comments: