Monday, November 19, 2007

Virtual Postcard from Charleston, SC

I have just arrived back from helping my mother from Roanoke, Va., with an antiques show in Charleston, SC_the hometown of Comedy Central comedian/talk show host Stephen Colbert.

Alas, we bombed!

We made a total of $400 the whole time. But, I did manage to get away and visit the South Carolina Aquarium, which has a pretty cool anaconda. I somehow got an allergic reaction to a toy lizard in the gift store. I actually still have a blister on my hand to prove that. My mother thinks that this indicates that the Chinese are trying to kill us all through lethal substances in children's toys. Perhaps, this is something we need to tell Mr. Colbert! 

Apparently, I missed a chance to see presidential candidate Fred Thompson who was in the city a week before I was. A local media outlet reported that half the people there were more interested in Thompson's Hollywood career than politics. As Colbert himself has said, (paraphrase): "I don't think actors should mingle with politics, but I sure like Fred Thompson." Of course, since he said that in jest, I couldn't agree with Colbert more (Incidentally, Bill Richardson is my candidate of choice. But, he might be the only one who really needs a $400 haircut and perhaps an appearance on 'Law and Order.')

We stopped in my mom's hometown of Rock Hill, SC, on the way back, but there was no time to stop and say hi to my cousin Michael and his family. Though, we did actually have a good meal at Denny's! Well, I only have the Denny's in Salem, Va., to judge by.  

And in Rock Hill, we saw a huge sign for former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who is also running for president. We know the Republican from Hope, Ark., would be a great choice because he has been endorsed by Chuck Norris. For those of you who might be waffling between him and Cong. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio). Kucinich has been endorsed by folk singer Ani DiFranco (note to picky people: I don't have the proper spelling of her name in front of me, but I know she spells Annie in a very strange way). He went to see a concert by her in Asheville, NC. Perhaps, some visitors from another planet took in the show as well.

I didn't have time to buy any souvenirs- not even postcards- but, thankfully I did not get Michael's three-year-old son Nicolas a Chinese reptile. Somehow, I don't think Mike's wife Maria would've been too happy about that!

Stephen Colbert's show "The Colbert Report" is in reruns beause of the screenwrtiers strike, but his web site is still up and his Benny and Jerry's Ice Product, still has 280 calories.

For those of you who have equally been let down by the Broadway stage hands' strike in New York, let me share you this review from my sister Lale Lovell about the hit Broadway show "Avenue Q." She and her husband Matt Lovell actually saw the production in Las Vegas. This is taken from a postcard that they sent me from there on April 3, 2006:

"We went to this musical in Vegas and it was essentially a demented puppets show_ I think you would have found it just as funny as Matt and I did."

Useful links:

http://www.colbertnation.com

PS- This marks my first blog entry which uses tags!

And, due to my trip, I missed a Christmas Parade in Reidsville, NC, which is not too far away from where I live. But, my friend Christopher Knight was reportedly going to go there. He is supporting Ron Paul for President. And, he will be happy to know that I saw a Ron Paul for President bumper sticker on a pickup truck near Salisbury, NC_ I'm sure that will help his chances!

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/

Now here are the tags!:  

No comments: