Thursday, November 1, 2007

Is Stanley Kubrcik overated?! ...I Say NO!

 

I am stumbling from bloggers block today, and when that happens, I try to check at least one of my friends' blogs, which I should admitedly do more often. My top three choices as of late have been the blogs of Moviezzz, Joe Scott and Christopher Knight. All three of whom are with Blogspot (perhaps, it's time for a defection from AOL!).

It was actually Moviezzz who posed this question, but it is one I've heard before.

For years, I had thought that I might be one of the biggest Stanley Kubrick fans in the world. I went to Glenvar High School in Salem, Va., and aside from the one or two other people who knew who knew about The Ramones, it was a fairly unhip place. In fact, they all probably thought Ronald Reagan was a fairly good president.

Though, I would have loved to have gone out with Beth (last name, not given- actually she's married now, so I have no idea what her last name is), who seemed at least slightly more intelligent than most of the other cheerleaders, except Jennifer (last name not given, though I actually talk to her periodically, and she might find this blog!). But, everyone knows that movie geeks- except Quentin Tarantino- NEVER get dates with beauty queens.

(Excuse the tangent! And, the tangents from the tangent.)

But, when I was in college and the Internet was becoming hipper than Toad the Wet Sprocket, I came across one Bilge Ebiri, who was then residing in Rockville, Md. I was dumb-founded that there was someone in the world who knew even more about movies than me (Well, I was the only teenager in the Roanoke Valley who seemed interested in seeing "The Killing Fields") and, on top of that, he also happened to be Turkish!

And, as it turns out, Ebiri also admires Kubrick, and he is an expert on Italian filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci.

We have our slight disagreements. I think "A Clockwork Orange" is the definitive Kubrick masterpiece. I've seen it nine times! And, I am one of these movie geeks who does NOT revisit movies over and over again. It is the only way I know how to squeeze in the ultra-guilty pleasures like "Lady Terminator," a campy, sleezy movie from Indonesia-of all places- which I just watched this week.

(Sorry for the second- or third-tangent).

But, Ebiri maintains that "Barry Lyndon," Kubrick's 1975 followup to "Orange" is the late director's best film. I don't argue with that because I've only seen that film with Ryan O"Neal once, though it has been on my Netflix que for about eight or nine months now.

Nevertheless, I am sure we both agree that Kubrick is not overated.

Moviezzz has a great film blog, but I strongly disagree with him here.

At least, he is not endorsing his state's last governor for president. He lives in Mass. And, ironically, Mitt Romney is a Republican! Though, he is even more of a flip-flopper than Sen. John Kerry. Today is Thursday, so perhaps Romney is pro-choice again.

Anyway, please be sure to vote on my poll. It makes me happy:) I don't care if you are Greek or a Republican........just be sure to vote......please.........!

Useful links (for another perspective):

http://www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

  

No comments: