Monday, November 12, 2007

American Gangster from Mayberry

Hmm......I am both pressed for time and I am half-awake. So, this will be short. Then again I need some oxygen in my brain.

According to the Nov. 2 edition of the Raleigh newspaper "The News & Observer," drug lord Frank Lucas, the subject of the new Ridley Scott film "American Gangster" hails from the small town of Washington, NC (he was born there in 1930), which is about 80 miles south of Raleigh.

Lucas went up to Harlem, and the rest as they say is history. He started a heroin ring called the Country Boys, and he claims to have made $1 million a day selling drugs.

Lucas went on to cooperate with authorities, and he even brought his mother a house. He is played in the new film, which also stars Russell Crowe, by Denzel Washington. It is based on an article which originally appeared in "New York" magazine.

My friend Moviezzz is among those who have praised this film, which I have not seen. It is touted by "Rolling Stone" film critic Peter Travers as: "One hell of an exciting movie." I noticed that it was playing at a nice, old movie theatre in South Boston, Va.- perhaps the kind of place where Lucas saw the original "Scarface" as a kid!

Useful Links:

http://www.newsobserver.com

 

No comments: