Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Next Ten Films in My Netflix Que

Since I have 9 and half minutes before "This Week with George Stephanopolous" begins..........(perhaps, Cong. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) will be the guest and explain his UFO sighting more in depth), I thought I would post a simple entry for this Sunday morning in Kinston, NC (that is not the town in NC where I live, but they do have the Single-A Kinston Indians down there!).

Here are the next ten films in my Netflix Que:

1. Tsotsi---It is a South African drama that won a Best Foreign-Language Movie Oscar, and I am told that unlike a lot films that win the BFL Oscar, this one is actually good!

2. Rembetiko-A Greek film which was actually popular in Turkey! It was made in 1983, but it has just been released on dvd. My late friend Kriton Hatzios, who lived in Blacksburg, Va., told me that this was an exceptional film.

3. Manderlay-This film is based on the work of activist Danish photographer Jacob Holdt whom I had the pleasure of meeting at Radford University in 1996. I still occasionally exchange emails with him. Alas, I missed a chance to see him at the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville where this film was being screened, even though I was there that year! This film by Lars von Trier also stars Danny Glover, who was mentioned in my last entry....he was also in Greensboro,NC, for a Triad Stage fundraiser recently.

4. Art School Confidential-Based on the work of Daniel Clowes- a comic book artist whose work I adore

5. Offside-An Iranian film about soccer.

6. El Topo- An experimental Mexican film from the '70s with a huge cult following.

7. Films of Kenneth Anger, Vol.1- A whole series of short films from one of America's leading experimental filmmakers.

8. Blades of Glory- Yes, a film that played at the Hull's Drive-In in Lexington, Va., actually made my que. My friend Blake Lipscomb saw it there, and said it was pretty funny.........I think it's the only Will Ferrell film in my que.

9. Dolls- A Japanese horror film that Chuck Stephens of "Film Comment" panned, but it sounds very interesting.

10. The Cow- A suupsedly classic Iranian film from 1969. I know the title makes it sound about as exciting as a high school biology text book, but......

 

Well, that's it. I've missed the first five minutes of my favorite Sunday talk show, but at least I have something to show publicly for my existence today.

http://www.netflix.com

 

No comments: