Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Remembering Giget (1989-2008), The Family Dog

It has not been the happiest of times at my mom's house as she lost a third pet in a 12-month time span.

Giget, the beloved family poodle (actually, I'm bad with breeds), died after a long illness. She came into our living room through my late stepfather Donald Sullivan, who was her original owner.

Mitzi, the other family dog, died in October.

Ari, the family cat, died in March. We still miss him.

But, there is still Gizmo (see earlier entries). The three-year-old feline is ever the backyard Hannibal Lecter.

Perhaps, people who are starving to death in Tanzania should lose a family pet so they can understand what Americans go through. It is not easy!

In all seriousness, my mother is holding up fairly well. And, if I had such talents, I would have posted a photo of Giget that I took in her prime.

I'll miss the walks by the Roanoke River that we used to take.

So long, ole pal.......

No comments: