Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Envelope Please- My Oscar Picks for Tonight

As some of you who read this blog regularly (both of you) may recall I left it up to Gizmo the family cat to pick the Super Bowl. He boldly predicted the New York Giants would beat the undefeated the New England Patriots. He wuz right! So, he now wants the most expensive cat food on the market, which is why I am picking the Oscars (forgive our silliness here at Politics, Culture and Other Wastes of Time).

I will either be proven right or wrong in a matter of hours, so here it goes:

Best Picture: "No Country for Old Men."

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen "No Country for Old Men."

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis "The Will Be Blood." (I've been told this is a sure thing).

Best Actress: Julia Christie "Away From Here" (But, I somehow won't be shocked if Ellen Page wins it for "Juno." It was a cute performance.)

Best Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck for ..........???!!! Just Kidding! Of course, it is going to Javier Bardem of "No Country for Old Men."

Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan- of all people for "I'm Not There."

Best Documentary: "No End in Sight"

Best Foreign-Language Film: "Beaufort" (Israel).

Best Score: "Kite Runner"

Best Costume: "Sweeney Todd"

Best Editting: "No Country for Old Men"

Best Animated Feature: "Ratatouille" (though I prefer "Persepolis")

Best Cinematography: "No Country for Old Men"

Best Art Direction: "Atonement" (this is a pure guess. I at least hope the film is nominated in this category!)

Best Original Screenplay: "Michael Clayton"

Best Adapted Screenplay: "No Country for Old Men"

It is amazing. "No Country for Old Men" barely made my top ten best films of 2007 list, yet I somehow see it winning at least five Oscars!

My friend Moviezzz will actually have live blogging from the Oscars on his web site:

http://www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

And, a number of movie theatres including the Grandin Theatre in Roanoke, Va.,  and the Carousel Grand Cinemas in Greensboro, NC, will show the Oscars live. My favorite categories are actually the shorts, foreign-language films and documentaries, but it is always fun to watch until the bitter end.

At least, I don't expect an infamous choice like "Forrest Gump," "Titanic" or "Crash" this year! 

No comments: