Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I've Found a Fellow Titanic-Hater

My good friend Bilge Ebiri and I once had a long argument over "Titanic." The 1997 Oscar-winner for Best Picture is a film I personally disdain and Ebiri, a New York film critic and independent filmmaker, admires a great deal.

But, there appears to be at least one other film connosieur who thinks James Cameron's bloated spectacle is a waste of four and half hours (or however long it's running time is).

Mark Burger, a former L..A. film critic who relocated to Winston-Salem, NC, a few years ago, appears not to be a fan of the Kate Winslet-Leonardo DiCaprio epic either. And, he disclosed this in a recent column in the Greenboro alternative newspaper "Yes Weekly!."

In a column about the Oscars, Burger, who I met at a Christmas party in Greensboro in December, quipped:

"Then again, whichever film wins best picture, it'll be an improvement over 10 years ago....Titanic," Burger said. "I saw it, I reviewed it, I still don't believe it. And I still don't get it. But, far be it for me to hold any kind of grudge against a movie that made a lot of people_especially a lot of teenage girls_so happy. It is, I suppose, the standard by which all others are to be judged. Isn't that a scary thought?"

Amen, Mark!

As it turns out, the film will be shown at the Carolina Theatre on April 21 at 7:30 p.m.

My early assumption is that there is no way in hell that I'll be there (as much as I admire the Carolina Theatre), but there is always a slim chance that some very attractive Latvian blonde woman who just retired as an acrobat from the Bolsevik Circus might ask me out.

And, then, of course, I will sit through "Titanic" in its entirety and listen to that annoying theme song from Celine Dion as the credits roll and feel like I am 'king of the world.'

Useful Links:

http://www.yesweekly.com

http://www.carolinatheatre.org

 

No comments: