Thursday, February 7, 2008

Congrats to Miss Virginia! Well, She Came in Fourth

I suppose since the Miss America Pageant was on Jan. 26 in Las Vegas this entry may seem as dated as one devouted to a Fred Thompson rally in Anderson, SC, but I am proud that Hannah Kiefer represented my home state well. She finished fourth in the competiton (yikes! I have no idea who won........).

Kiefer is an alumnus of Hollins University in Roanoke, Va. It is an all-women's college which has such distinguished alumni as writer Annie Dillard and controversial photographer Sally Mann. But, amazingly enough (since I am a guy), I am also a graduate of the school!*

While in Vegas, Kiefer performed ballet en pointe in the talent portion of the competition and she sought to raise awareness of 'creating healthy choices' for teens.

Miss Virginia also praised Hollins University in a "Richmond Times-Dispatch" interview:

"I attend an all-women's university where we all are encouraged to be individuals and we're encouraged to be achievers."

My other alma mater, Radford University beat Jerry Falwell, Jr.'s Liberty University 89-88 for homecoming in a men's basketball game that was played in Radford, Va., on Saturday. Other than Winthrop University, there is no other school that I'm happier to see us beat.

*-I went to Hollins for graduate school in the film studies discipline. The school is co-ed at the graduate level.

Useful Links:

http://www.hollins.edu 

No comments: