Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Other People's Best Film of the Year Choices

Alas, since a scheduled trip to Washington, DC, was postponed today, I have decided to put up some extra blog posts today. I will use this entry to list some of the other best film choices across the blogosphere and the general media.
Surprisingly, Peter Travers of "Rolling Stone" is the film critic I seem to agree with most this year (WHAT???!). Of the seven films I had seen from his list, an astonishing five of them were in my top ten!
Travers chose the Coen Brothers film "I'm Not There" for his top choice. It was also the choice for best movie of the year for "Time" critic Richard Corliss.
My friend Bilge Ebiri, an established film critic in New York, chose the Iranian film "Offsides" about a young girl who tries to get into a soccer game as his best film of the year. I have differed with Ebiri a few times in the past- most notably with our differing views on "Titanic" ( a film I disdain), but I think he made a solid choice here. In fact, I'm now thinking I should have squeezed this film into my top ten!
Another friend of mine Joe Scott of Greensboro chose the Spanish horror film "The Orphanage" as his film of the year. Scott hosts a movie radio show on WUAG-FM in Greensboro and he has a film-related blog.
Amy Taubin, a film critic I greatly admire, chose the David Fincher thriller "Zodiac," which was in Ebiri's top five.
T.S. Wilcox chose the Dutch war drama "Black Book," which I placed sixth on my list.
One of my favorite main-stream film critics Jeff Vice chose "Into the Wild," which was my second favorite film of the year.
David Edelstein of NPR's "Fresh Air" chose the French film "The Divine Bell and the Butterfly" about a magazine editor who has to live with the side effects of her stroke.
Several film critics, including Ty Burr of "The Boston Globe" and Glenn Kenny of "Premiere," chose the cinematic reworking of the Upton Sinclair novel "Oil," which is titled "There Will Be Blood."
Gary Mairs of the new film blog High Hat chose the Bob Dylan biopic (of sorts) "I'm Not There" from director Todd Haynes. The film was also the top choice of blogger Brett McCracken of The Search.
Interestingly enough, the politically conservative film blog (perhaps there is a liberal gun owners blog too) Libertas chose the western "The Assassination of Jesse James...." No surprise_ Michael Moore's documentary "Sicko" did not make their top ten though in all fairness it didn't make mine either.
The mainstream popoholic.com blog chose the second installment of "Grindhouse" which was "Planet Terror" from Robert Rodriguez.
And, lastly, the ever-familiar Roger Ebert chose the independent film "Juno," which many people tell me is quite a good, little film.
My choice for best film of the year is Wes Anderson's "The DarjeelingLimited," but as my friend Moviezzz and I agree those of us in smaller markets are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to these things!


No comments: