Saturday, January 19, 2008

Eagle vs. Highlander

I was hoping to be at the Dedmon Center on the campus of my alma mater Radford University in Radford, Va., to watch my beloved Radford Highlanders take on my cousin Michael Dawkins' alma mater, which are the Winthrop University Eagles from Rock Hill, SC, in men's basketball action.

Alas, bad weather has struck Virginia and the Carolinas, which might be good news for fringe Republican candidate Cong. Duncan Hunter (R-Cal.) in the South Carolina Republican Primary. He may actually get a full two percent of the vote now!

Winthrop (10-7) and Radford (5-12) has dominated the series in recent years, but hopefully that will change today.

The game is currently underway. I tried to get the live feed from the game, but my computer isn't cooperating.

Hopefully, I will hear from Mike later today, and by then, I'll know who won.

I'm also curious to know if his brother Patrick Dawkins, who is a current student at Winthrop (where my late grandfather Dudley 'Doc' Sturgis was an economics professor), really voted for Ron Paul after all. Paul held a rally close to Rock Hill in nearby Fort Mill, SC, earlier in the week. Reportedly, someone drove all the way from Kentucky for the event!

I'm not sure anyone will drive from The Bluegrass State to watch the Radford game, but at least family bragging rights are on the line. (I imagine a drive to and from Paducah, Ky., would take a while and with the price of gas these days.........!)

In an earlier blog entry, we discussed how Virginia Governor Tim Kaine had to send his counterpart in Topeka, Kan., a Virginia ham after Virginia Tech lost to Kansas at the Orange Bowl.

I have made no such arrangements with Mike. But, I suppose he can send me a basket of peaches (Gaffney, SC, is actually one of the best places to find peaches in the country) if the Highlanders pull off the major upset this afternoon. Of course, if we don't win, I may have to deliver............hmmm...........peanuts?!  

But, either way one of us will be happier than the losers of the Republican primary!

Useful Links:

http://www.radford.edu

http://www.winthrop.edu

  

No comments: