Friday, January 11, 2008

Make Otto the School Bus Driver Proud, Dude.

Last week, while I was in Washington, DC, I was hoping to find some lucrative job that would pay more than my current meager wages here in this fictional North Carolina town where I reside.

I started my job hunt with the classified ads. More specifically, I looked in one of these free employment guides than you find in local convenience stores and laundromats.

And, sure enough, I found an interesting job- though it is not one I want.

Fairfax County (Va.) Schools are looking for a few good school bus drivers!

Yes, if you live in the greater Washington, DC, area, and you've come to the same realization I have_ which is basically that a master's degree matters as much as having three years experience as a bus-boy at Denny's_you might want to get a pen and jot this info down.

The starting salary for a Fairfax County school bus driver is $16.57 per hour.

The ad states that there are excellent retirement, health and dental plans as well as life insurance and disability insurance (like if you get hit in theback of the head from some seventh grader's Rubik's Cube).

You will also be guaranteed 35 hours per week and you will get six paid nonworking days.

And, there is the added benefit of childcare cost savings- infants and preschool aged children and (get this!) grandchildren may ride with you.

Hmmmm.....I can't 'expletive' stand kids. I guess if you also have that quality, they might hold it against you.

If you are actually interested in this, email me at turkam@yahoo.com and I will give you more detailed info (ie. where to call, go online, etc.)

This job listing reminded me of "The Simpsons" character Otto, who drives a school bus while listening to the likes of Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne- yeah man!

My good friend Moviezzz, who coincidentally resides in Springfield, Mass., is an expert on all things Simpsons. Alas, his town lost out a screening of the world premiere of "The Simpsons Movie" to Springfield, Vt., over the summer.

I wonder if either town has their equivalent of Otto. Personally, I don't think I could drive a school bus and listen to Megadeath at the same time, but I can post this blog entries while listening to the semi-awful music of my high school years on the radio.

I just wish they'd play that great song by A-ha again.

Useful Links:

http://www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

http://www.WashingtonDC.EmploymentGuide.com

 

 

No comments: