Friday, January 11, 2008

Frosty Protests Republicans in Myrtle Beach

Even though I'm a Democrat, I do tend to feel that young people, particularly college-age folks, can be a bit politically naive. Perhaps, this is because I have become (dare I use the 'c' word) slightly more 'conservative' over the years. But, hey-I still like to listen to Midnight Oil. And, maybe one day the Aborigines will be free.
But, young people to their credit are much more likely to get involved with a cause and take their message straight to the candidates. I mean I don't think I could have the nerve to walk up to Nancy Pelosi and tell her to stand up to Armenian Americans (I'm a Turkish-Ameircan) - as much as I would want to do that.
Thus, one has to credit Sara Tansey, 19, of Litchfield Beach, SC, which is a suburb of Myrtle Beach.
Last night's Fox News Republican Debate took place at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. I wonder if any of the candidates were spotted around town wearing Myrtle Beach Pelicans hats. Personally, I think John McCain would look good in one myself.
Tansey is a sophomore at the University of South Carolina, which means she does not wear Clemson Tigers hats, especially on game day.
Dressed like Frosty the Snowman, Tansey told "The Myrtle Beach Sun News," that global warming is a  matter that everyone needs to be concerned about.
"What we stand to lose are our weather patterns," Tansey said. "It's mid-January, and it's 70 degrees today."
Tansey added that this will eventually means that children will not be able to build a snowman, (which will cost a future Mike Huckabee a vital photo-op in Sioux City, Iowa.)
Speaking of naive young people, the Myrtle Beach newspaper also had a photograph of a cute two-year-old boy holding up a sign for Mitt Romney.
They also had a great photo of Jeri Thompson, who would be the first first lady to look a Maxim cover girl, walking by a sand sculpture of her beloved husband Fred Thompson_ I don't think she married him for his looks, do you?
 And, a Ron Paul helicopter also passed through the area- if only that could help him win the nomination.
I just wish John Kerry had pulled a Joe Lieberman and crossed party lines to endorse his fellow Boston Red Sox fan Romney instead of Barack Obama (only an endorsement from Tony Soprano could hurt more!). Now, that would have been better than seeing Huckabee pheasant hunting.

Useful Links:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com

No comments: