Sunday, January 6, 2008

The New Hampshire Roller Derby.........??!

I am of course jokingly calling the New Hampshire Primary by an affectionate name to reflect the true nature of the campaigns.

I was in Washington, DC, for the weekend (more on that later).

But, it was a bit odd as I watching "Face the Nation" from our hotel room in Fairfax, Va., this morning while Sen. John McCain was being interviewed in Bedford, NH, I thought: "You know- there might actually be more politicians in the Granite State than there are in the Beltway right now!"

Fundamentalist Christian Republicans seem quite happy by the surprising victory of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, of Hope, Ark. (don't you love the coincidence here?!).

There is even a meetup group for Huckabee in the small town of Stoneville, NC, where bowling is probably considered to be sinful and deviant- if it's done on a Sunday afternoon!

But, I think they will be in for a rude awakening once the New Hampshire Primary, which takes place on Tuesday, is finally over with. I'm sensing the one Republican I wouldn't mind having a beer with (oh, I forgot about Ron Paul) is going to win this one.

The same rude awakening might hold true for a friend of mine who was once the county chair of the Democratic Party in Woodstock, Va.- where bowling is also considered sinful and deviant- if done on a Sunday afternoon (of course, finding an open bowling alley on a Sunday in these places is about as hard as finding a Hillary '08 yard sign). Though, he hasn't told me who is voting for, the man  who I will call 'Joe' is probably a Clinton supporter.

Of course, since I'm an Edwards supporter, I am not going to be jumping for joy either......here are my predictions.

Let's start with the Republican Party:

1. John McCain
2. Mitt Romney**
3.Ron Paul
4. Mike Huckabee
5. Rudy Giuilani (sorry, but it's time to go back to New York. At least, the Broadway strike is over)
6. Fred Thompson * (go back to "Law and Order")
7. Duncan Hunter (why are you still in this thing?!)

And, the Good Guys_ and Gals:

1. Barack Obama (note to right wing ****h***s, that's with a 'b' not an 's')
2. Hillary Clinton (sorry Bill, no 3rd term)
3. John Edwards (but, I'll still vote for you)
4. Bill Richardson (I know_ I felt the same way when they voted on my high school homecoming court)
5. Dennis Kucinich (see Duncan Hunter)
6. Mike Gravel (see Dennis Kucinich)

*- By the way, Thompson got the endorsement of Rush Limbaugh. Even Republicans don't seem to give a fig about that, any more......!

**- Oooooops! I inadvertently got Mitt mixed up with Mike in an earlier edition of this entry. I wonder if this happened in Iowa. With all his loot, Romney should demand a recount in Iowa. Of course, he will soon need a recount in New Hampshire too!

Links:

http://www.thehill.com



No comments: