Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Misha's or McD's?

It is fittingly ironic that I found out that the right-wing Reagan-era action film "Red Dawn," which is one of my friend Jason Garnett's favorites, is being remade here in the former USSR (I found out through Moviezzz's blog).

Here in Baku, Azerbaijan- a place I will be departing from very shortly- there is actually a cafe with Misha, the 1980 Moscow Olympics mascot. The bear apparently also has a fan site in Japan.

I chose it for a quick meal over McDonald's which is pretty close to it.

I guess some zealous, militant folks back home may actually accuse of being a commie for choosing the nice, quaint cafe with tributes to Russian icons like dancer Mikhail Whatshisname (actually I know his last name, I just can't spell it!) over McD's.

But, hey Misha's had the best borst soup I've ever had!

No comments: