Thursday, July 31, 2008

Image #8- Mud Volcanoes


It took a major effort to reach the mud volcanoes of Azerbaijan- arguably the country's main tourist destination (perhaps 20 people visit them a day). In fact, the taxi driver whom I should name my first male child after (well, first I would need to get married, have sex) almost rolled off a mud bank as we were trying to reach the summit. I had to get rear end out of the car to allow his car to make it!
I'm not sure if I felt like I was on the set of "Bonanza" or "Star Trek," as the area that the mud volcanoes are in looks strangely like the state of Arizona (without any cactus plants). But, the mud volcanoes also have a science-fiction quality to them. Or, perhaps that is because Azerbaijan feels like a distant planet.
I have to thank travel writer Mark Elliott for telling me about the mud volcanoes through his interesting travel book on Azerbaijan.
On the way back to the hotel in Baku, I spotted some cows lying by the Caspian Sea (see earlier entry).

No comments: