Monday, July 14, 2008

Bumper Cars Without Bumping

Last night, I went to the local luna park here in Baku and I took in a bumper cars ride followed by a whirl on the ferris wheel.

Surprisingly enough, folks here in Azerbaijan seem much more polite when it comes to bumper cars.

I imagine at the Salem Fair back home in the Roanoke, Va., area, kids would be knocking each other left and right to the point of whiplash.

That was not the case here. In fact, everyone seemed to avoid trying to collide with each other. Perhaps, folks here see too many real-life collisions on the roads. I saw a truck with flour on the side of the road here and it was a mess!

But, I did get hit towards the end. It was inadvertent, but it almost gave me whiplash!

The ferris wheel was made more adventurous because of the Caspian breeze. I thought it was going to knock me over! But, it was nice to get an aerial view of Baku complete with the Kiz Kalesi (tower) in the backdrop along with the Caspian Sea.

There were also teenage boys who dressed like Mickey Mouse and Goofy in order to get kids to take pictures with them at the luna park. One has to wonder if the Walt Disney Corp., has any knowledge of this!

No comments: