Monday, July 14, 2008

Cows by the Caspian

Greetings once again from the Azerbaijani capital of Baku.It is a bit hot here today,but hopefully that Caspian breeze, which makes Chicago seem mild, will be kicking in here at any given moment.

I saw many strange things yesterday, including a bean bag teahouse, a Russian doll with Bill Clinton and a cafe bearing the name of the bear from the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

But, it was the site of cows laying out on the beach as if they were sunbathing by the Caspian shore on the outskirts of Baku which stood out more than anything else.

I imagine if I had been my brother-in-law Matt Lovell or my friend Jonathan Fredin, both of whom are photographers, I would've made the driver stop and drive down there.

As it is, I am a shy person, which surprises some people who think of me as out-going, and the battery in my digital camera is running low.

However, I was able to capture several images of mud volcanoes on top of a mountain in Gobustan, which is about an hour north of Baku.

Traveling in Azerbaijan has been challenging, but I am having a fairly good time though I am wondering when that breeze will kick in! 

No comments: