Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Images from the Trip- #6 (Misha the Bear)

In one of my entries about my visit to Baku, Azerbaijan, I commented on how I chose to eat at Misha's over McDonald's.
Misha's was a Russian restaurant in Baku which served mostly breakfast items along with some fast food specialties like hamburgers and french fries, but it was the brosch soup (no idea if I spelled that right) which won me over.
Misha was the mascot for the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
As everyone in the world knows, the Beijing Olympics are starting on Aug. 8. They will be broadcast on NBC (hmm...as if this isn't being promoted enough).
Former Olympic speed-skater Joey Cheek who is from the city where I now live (Greensboro, NC) is asking his fellow athletes to use the opportunity to bring social awareness to the fact that the Chinese government is an economic ally to the Sudanese government which is conducting genocide in Darfur.

No comments: