Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Sister's Trip to the Denver Botanical Gardens

This is the first of my proposed "all in the family' triology (of blog entries), which may also include my cousins Kurt Gokbudak of Laguna Nigel, Ca., and Michael Dawkins of Rock Hill, SC. Michael and I are hopefully going to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro, NC., on Wed.
But, for right now, my focus is my little sister Lale Lovell of Longmont, Co. Along with her husband Matthew, they recently ventured to the Denver Botanical Gardens and they took an estimated 12,900 digital photograps of the place (slight exagerration).
According to the Gardens' web site, the attraction is a 750 plant refuge which was established 55 years ago. There is a Big Bugs exhibit at the gardens, which includes a 7-ft. assasin bug (got Raid?!) and it runs until June 24. The gardens' web site is also promoting their feature flowers whichare the Syringa vulgari and the common lilac. I am sure Matt and Lale took photos of those flowers...perhaps, they saw some venus flytraps too!
 The link below to their photos also includes one from trips to Mexico (which I joined them on) and Italy (which I did not).
As for the NC Zoo, their web site announced the winner of a name the lion cubs contest.
The winner was Kyle (no last name given), 16, of Oak Ridge, NC. He chose the names Dakota, Casey and Mecca for the cute little cuddly cubs which should be able to eat children in a short amount of time (forgive my dark humor!).
Speaking of children, Mike and his wife Maria have an adorable son Nicolas. I got Nicolas some children's books from my friend Tom Angleberger's wife Cece Bell at the Ram's Head Bookstore in Roanoke yesterday. Tom has his own book under the pen name of Sam Riddleberger, which was just published! In spite of the fact that I brought two books from Tom's wife and none from him, we are still on speaking terms........at least, we were as 1 p.m. today.
Mike is also a great photographer. He should have a web site of them, and perhaps he does.
I was told I was fairly good at photography too_ I did after all take a photography class, but I have alas neglected the hobby for (many) silly ventures, such as this blog!
I would write more but my mom's 'delightful' dog Mitzi is about to attack Gidget, our other dog............it's too bad we didn't see a cockfight when we were in Mexico, but it looks like I'm witnessing one now.............:)

Useful links:

Lale and Matt's photos:
http://matt-n-lale.smugmug.com

Denver Botanical Gardens
www.denverbotanicalgardens.org

NC Zoo
http://www.nczoo.org

Tom's site
www.riddleberger.com

Cece Bell's site
www.cecebell.com

No comments: