Saturday, May 12, 2007

For Mother's Day- Tribute to Joan Crawford

With Mother's Day being tomorrow, one is reminded me of the film "Mommie Dearest," based on a book by Christina Crawford about the alleged abuses of her glamorous movie star mother Joan Crawford (1905-1977). The film makes me thankful that my own mother Lila Sullivan has been pretty kind to me over the years. The 1981 film, made famous by the line: "No More Wirehangers Ever!" and which stars Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford ,is actually going to be screened at the Criterion Cinema in New Haven, Ct., at 11 a.m. tomorrow. But, since that is a 14-hour drive for me, and perhaps even farther for you, others of you may want to catch Crawford's own 1945 film noir classic "Mildred Pierce" which airs tomorrow afternoon on TCM (I believe at 1:15 p.m.). Joan Crawford also starred in "Grand Hotel" (1932), "The Women" (1939) and "Johnny Guitar" (1954). My friend Daryl Davis of Atlanta showed one of her films "The Damned Don't Cry" (1950) for us while I was attending grad school at Hollins University.
For more info on Crawford, including photos and video clips, one can link the site:

http://www.joancrawfordbest.com

No comments: