Monday, May 7, 2007

Dead Poets Society, Entry 5, Sylvia Plath

On a nice, bright sunny day, a part of me feels a tad bit guilty about posting a poem by Sylvia Plath (1932-1963) because she did commit suicide at a very young age. But, those of us who are even occassional connosieurs of poetry have become more interested in her work since a movie was made about her short, turbulent life (forgive my percieved shallowness). So, here is "Metaphors" from Ms. Plath:

 

"Metaphors"

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,

An elephant, a ponderous house,

A melon strolling on two tendrils,

O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!

This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.

Money's new-minted in this fat purse.

I'm a means, a stage, a cow in a calf.

I've eaten a bag of green apples,

Boarded the train there's no getting off.

No comments: