Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Don't Call Her Cheney...........

For those who were wondering where I was for a whole week, I was in Salt Lake City for the NCAA Women's Gymnastics Championships (more on that later).

While I was there, I picked a copy of the city's alternative weekly, "Salt Lake City Weekly."

There was a pleasant surprise in the newspapers there as I found that the protest against Brigham Young University's commencement speaker (Vice) President Dick Cheney by the BYU Democrats paved the way for an alternative commencement headlined by Ralph Nader, who ironically helped bring Cheney-Bush to the White House. The event was so successful that it made for a front page story on "The Deseret Morning News," one of the main newspapers in Utah, right beneath the mug of our (vice) president.

But, there are actually a number of Utahns who take exception to the former CEO of Haliburton and the man who has lead this country into the most immoral/neglicent wars in our history (and I am going back to the French-Indian War).

One such person is Candice Chaney of Park City. She wrote the folloing letter-to-the-editor to "Salt Lake City Weekly" responding to an incorrect crossword puzzle clue in that paper.

"A recent crossword puzzle had a misspelling on 32-down (Crossword Puzzle, March 29, City Weekly). Normally, I would let these things go, however, it did involve my name.

Having been blessed with a last name that is pronounced the same way as the vice-president's, I always get the question of 'Cheney, like the vp?' My response is: 'No, I'm not Cheney, like Dick. I am Chaney, like Lon.' Please don't rob me of the only dignity my name seems to conjure up."

Links:

Salt Lake City Weekly

http://www.slweekly.com

 

(Note the correct link, I had earlier said the link was slcweekly.com.. an honest mistake, but the internet is not a very forgiving entity!)

 

 

No comments: