Monday, May 14, 2007

Dead Poets Society, Entry #8, Emily Dickinson

I was all set to post a blog entry about Turkish food and NC B-B-Q to illustrate the strange circumstances us multi-ethnic people, particularly in the South, find ourselves in. But, I got overwhelmed with information. Hence, I will post my planned entry on Emily Dickinson (1830-1886), so I can wrap these dead poet entries up fairly soon.......!

According to the questionably reliable Wikipedia, Dickinson was largely unknown during her lifetime. Like Charles Bukowski, most of her poems were published after her death. she is believed to have written 1,789 poems in her 55 years of life. She lived primarily in Massachussetts.

Dickinson is said to have been a recluse, but scholars have suggested that she did indeed have some friends.

There is also a lot of stuff on the web about Dickinson's sexual orientation. Some say she was a lesbian. Others say she was bisexul. Hmmm....I'm not going to go any further with this.........

And, lastly, for those of you who might be inclined to fly off to faraway places at a moment's notice (like my mother) there is the World Emily Dickinson Conference in Kyoto, Japan, between Aug 3-5. I suggest you make plane reservations now!

The poem from Dickinson that I have selected is an appropriate one for a rumored recluse, "Wild Nights_Wild Nights."

"Wild Nights_ Wild Nights" (1861)

Wild Nights_Wild Nights!
Where I with thee
Wild Nights should be
Our luxury!

Futile- the Winds-
To a Heart in port-
Done with the Compass-
Done with the Chart!

Rowing in Eden-
Ah, the sea!
Might I but moor-Tonight
In Thee!


Links:
http://www.emilydickinson.org


No comments: