Thursday, May 17, 2007

Brilliant Mike Huckabee Satire

I must profess that I have gotten stuck here in my hometown of Salem, Va., while visiting my mother for Mother's Day. Yes, I know it is now Thursday. "There's no place like home, Toto." Actually, I have a two-week break from school and my cousin Mike had to back out of our trip to the NC Zoo (see earlier entry).
So, I have way too much of my time surfing the web and watching Youtube videos. You know you are perhaps spending way too time on a site when you start watching clips of Turkish pop singer diva Ajda Pekkan and 1996 gymnastics routines of former Canadian Olympian Yvonne Tousek (actually I know Yvonne, but I don't know Ajda and assuredly they don't know each other).  Both are very talented people though_ I mean how many of you can do back sommersaults or sing in Turkish?
But, this collosal waste of time, did lead me to a new discovery_ poltical cartoonist, animator and stand-up comedian Scott Bateman, whom perhaps the rest of you may have heard of.
Bateman has a brilliant satire of former or current Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R). He is one of two dozen or so people who is running for president. I love politics, but I can only name two-thirds of the field. The guy who is running the car wash here on Main Street in downtown Salem is not running for office, but he might be a better choice than Virginia's former Republican governor Jim Gilmore, who had a fairly low approval rating here during his last term.
In less than two minutes, Batmeman zings Huckabee using the same actual speech that the Arkansas governor made to announce his candidacy. Bateman uses subtitles to makefun  of Huckabee and his monotone voice, posting such great lines as: "Maybe, you should make a run for Applebee's instead" and "Screw you immigrant gay couples who want adoptions." Bateman also quips: "Born in a log outhouse," when Huckabee talks about his 'roots.'
Huckabee got more media notice than the likes of Gilmore when he made fun of former North Carolina senator John Edwards' $450 haircut during a Fox News-televised debate in Columbia, SC. I'm sure he also has plenty to say about a certain former Arkansas first lady as well.
It seems that his chances for catching up with the three Republican front-runners, John McCain, Mitt Romney, and Rudy Guiliani are limited, but regardless I will probably vote for that former Arkansas first lady anyway! One has to give kudos to Cong. Ron Paul (R-Tx), who is also running for president, for being the only 'official' Republican candidate to speak out against our funny, dirty war in Iraq.

To see the video go to youtube.com and put Huckabee, Mike or Bateman, Scott in the search engine (sorry, I am not the most techno-coordianted person, or else the video migh be posted here!)

For more info on Bateman and his various projects, log on to:

http://www.batemania.com

Ajda Pekkan
http://www.ajdapekkan.net

Yvonne Tousek (who is much older now than the pictures on the site):
http://www.gymn.ca/athletes/women.tousek.shtml

No comments: