Friday, May 11, 2007

Congrats to All College Grads

I want to take a moment to wish my friend Debroah Webb, of Denton, Tx., congrats on her graduation from North Texas State University.  I am sure Debroah, who is a remarkable, talented person (though I have never physically met her in person!) will do well at whatever she chooses.

I am presently all of 35 miles away from the commencement that the world is taking notice of at Virginia Tech.

Retired Gen. John P. Abizaid will be speaker at the Hokie commencement which is getting underway in less than two hours (Fri. at 7 p.m., EST). All 27 of the students (an additional five members of the faculty were slain on Apr. 16) will recieve posthumous degrees. They will include victim Jarrett Lane of Narrows, Va., who had been accepted into graduate school at the University of Florida.

On a happier note, another local school in the Roanoke area Roanoke College (actually in my hometown of Salem, Va.) had a record 480 graduates last week according to "The Salem Times-Register," where I worked as a journalist from 1997-98. I actually covered a rodeo event there which would become famous/infamous when it was visited by a certain fictitious tv personality from Kazakhstan named 'Borat!' (And, footage of that rodeo is in the film "Borat").

For info on the Va. Tech commencement that you may not see on the AP, one can link to the Va. Tech student newspaper "The Collegiate Times:"

http://www.thecollegiatetimes.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks gymnastics fans! My blog has had over 100 hits in less than 24 hours. I think it is because of each of you. For those wondering, Georgia was the winner of the NCAA gym meet in Utah. It is their third in a row. The University of Utah holds the all-time record with 9 titles overall, and a stint of five consecutive titles in the 1980s.