Monday, May 21, 2007

Dead Poets Societ, Entry #9, Constantine Cavafy

Today marks the ninth entry in a series of 12 poems from poets who are no longer with us, and in the case of Rumi (see earlier entry on Apr. 16), have not been with us for quite some time!

With that, I present the modern Greek poet Constantin P. Cavafy (1863-1933) who died on his 70th birthday. Cavafy was actually born in Alexandria, Egypt, which is where one can find the Cavafy Museum.

Cavafy worked as a civil servant and a journalist. According to Wikipedia, his poems examined patriotism, Christianity and homosexuality and he has often been called a skeptic and a neo-pagan. Cavafy also lived in Liverpool and Istanbul, the city of his heritage, in his youth, before returning to Alexandria.

Cavafy was said to be a recluse. His most famous works include "Waiting for the the Barbarians" (1904), "The City" (1910) and "In 200 B.C." (1931) and his poems are ones which can be 'lost in translation.' With that, I present an English translation of his poem "Walls" (1896):

"Walls"

Without consideration, without pity, without shame

they have built great and high walls around me.

And now I sit here and despair.

I think of nothing else:

this fate grows at my mind;

for I had many things to do outside.

Ah why did I not pay attention

when they built the walls.

But, I never heard any noise or sand of builders.

Imperceptibly they shut me from the outside world.

 

Useful links:

http://www.cavafy.com

http://www.greece.org/alexandria/cavafy/

 

 

No comments: