Thursday, August 7, 2008

Slightly Disturbing Casper Cartoon (from 1948)



Perhaps, it was because of the recent San Diego Comics Con that my friend Jason Brown attended which made interested in looking at some old comic books from my childhood. And, thanks what is essentially a "Casper box-set" from Dark Horse Comics ("Casper" was with Harvey Comics along with Richie Rich and Hot Stuff), I was able to read some interesting Casper comics from the '40s, '50s and '60s, including the one where he meets his girlfriend Wendy the Witch.
Of course, all these comics are fairly tame. Even kids' fare of today like Sponge Bob Square Pants is far more cutting-edge.
But, reading these old comics reminded me of an unsettling 1948 Casper cartoon called "There's Good Boos Tonight," which I saw on the Boomerang Network a few years ago. It is now available on Youtube, and I am posting it here (it runs almost nine minutes in length).

As you will see, it is not exactly something that one would expect to see on a given Saturday morning, and it does make one wonder what children think about death. In fact, I often wonder what adults think about it as well!

Useful Links:

http://www.harvey.com

No comments: