Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Guess There Was No Bruuuce?!

I guess this proves you can't always go by the rumors you hear in the media even if it's from the reliable "Washington Post," though their blogger Mary Ann Akers said that the rumor that Bruce Springsteen might make a surprise appearance at the Democratic Convention in Denver was just that. But, I can add this performance of "This Land is Your Land," the Woody Guthrie classic as performed by Bruuuce in Los Angeles in 1985.

But, what a speech! I heard Obama speak as I was driving on the radio tonight. First, I listened to it on NPR and then I caught the second part of it from AM stations out of Boston and Charlotte. It was quite impressive.
I think he hit on all the major points, including his plans for health care, the economy, alternative energy plans, and the fight against terrorism. The line about how Bush couldn't capture bin Laden was great (if only I could remember it). It almost made me ashamed that I voted for Hillary Clinton in the North Carolina Democratic Primary in February. I'm sure it will be criticized by Republicans for being a bit lofty and ambitious, but hey aren't most convention speeches!
Though I'm sure Obama's powerful speech was enough to make Sen. Joe Lieberman (R-Ct), oh excuse me  I meant (I-Ct) wonder if he made the right decision by switching teams. (Between us, I think that John McCain will choose either Lieberman or Mitt Romney as his vice presidential choice tomorrow). I imagine either way, Lieberman was watching the speech while playing Connect-4 and sipping cocoa with McCain and friends in Dayton, Ohio.
To complement the Springsteen video, I would like to add this video from another singer named Bruce- my friend Bruce Piephoff. He is a highly respected folk singer in Greensboro, NC. Alas, I will not be able to see him perform at the Grove Winery near Greensboro on Labor Day as I did last year.
But, I was able to see him perform one of his best songs "I Remember Asheville" at a cd release party in February. This video footage, which was not taped by me, is from that very same performance. We have posted it here before, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
If not anything else, it should take one's mind off of politics!

Useful Links:

http://www.myspace.com/brucepiephoff

http://www.brucepiephoff.com

UPDATE: I just looked at a convention blog from liberal cartoonist Tom Tomorrow, and he pointed out that ironically the song that was played after Bill Clinton spoke in Denver was none other than "Addicted to Love" from Robert Palmer.

UPDATE TWO: Apparently, Lieberman is actually vacationing in Long Island. Rumors are now circulating that McCain will choose the sitting governor of Minnesota Tim Pawltney as the vice-presidential choice. Personally, I hope he chooses Romney- I just loved making fun of him when he was running for prez!


No comments: