Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sick and Twisted Summer Double-Header (Not For Kids!)

This is Marv Newland's sick and twisted short "Bambi Meets Godzilla." I think this is actually the funnier of the two 'films' we have today. It runs for a minute and a half. It was made in 1969. I actually saw it on tv when I was a kid circa 1981. I can not verify if it messed me up for life or not!

The second film is the even-more notorious "Bring Me the Head of Charlie Brown," made by Jim Reardon who went on to become a director for "The Simpsons." It's a take-off on several Sam Peckinpah films, and it features a certain character made famous by Robert DeNiro. It's an 'epic' as it runs for nearly four minutes. It was made when "Family Ties" was hip in 1986.

My apologies to friends in Turkey, where Youtube is alas banned.

I should ask someone to bring the popcorn!

For more serious fare, The Film Forum in New York is debuting a retrospective of French thrillers starting with "The Wages of Fear" today.

And, the Grandin Theatre in my hometown of Roanoke will screen the Coen Brothers classic "The Big Lebowski" on Aug. 22 at midnight (also on Sat., Aug 23rd as well).

Useful Links:

http://www.filmforum.org

http://www.grandintheatre.com


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sick and Twisted? Yes. But very funny!

Terry