Friday, October 17, 2008

Things to Do in Roanoke...when you're dead

(Image: An actual Jewish cemetery in Roanoke, Va. Although I'm also in a repressed minority, I am not Jewish. And, I did not take this photo)

This may be my oddest entry yet as I am alive- in spite of suffering from an obscene number of mental and physical ailments for a person of my age. I am just 38 for god's sake.! I was born after both "Star Trek" and "Underdog" went on the air. What the eff is wrong with me? (Excuse me for thinking out loud!)

But, I thought this would be a clever way to make a to-do list and hold myself to it. I am back in my hometown of Roanoke, Va., and I am somehow never able to do anything of any significance while I am here.

That is also true of my life in North Carolina, but with the price of gas, one must try to achieve something tangible before driving back down Rte. 220, which should be adopted by the pro-life lobby for the six fetus billboards in Franklin County alone (each one is about 2.4 miles away from the other one).

After all, if going public with a to-do list can't help one get things done, then perhaps nothing can.

1. Let Gizmo (the cat) back in.....now!*+

2. Go see "W" at the Grandin Theatre+

3. Return library books+

4. Finish reading "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett

5. Watch the "MASH" extras dvd you got from Netflix

6. Possibly see tv version of "Crash" on Starz!, tonight!+

7. Drinks lots of water and orange juice+

8. Go see Best of No Shame+

9. See Doctor ______ on Tues.

10. Try to hang out with Laverne (not real name)

11. Perhaps call Shirley (not real name)

11. LAUNDRY!+

12. Possibly canvass for Obama if the weather doesn't suck tomorrow.X

12b (I don't like the number 13) GRADE PAPERS!

14. GRADE TESTS!

15. Make lesson plans

16. Write a short story which actually makes sense

17. Call my cousin in SC

18. Get the Sunday Wash. Post

19. Go to the Roanoke Farmer's Market X

20. Time permitting, also take in "The Duchess" at the Grandin, especially if you can get a woman to go with you!

21. Get the new cd from The Cold War Kids since you won't be in NC to see them perform at Cat's Cradle! +

22. Take in a lunch at Arzu........

23. Possibly go to the Unitarian Church if you get your ___ up by 10:30 a.m. X

24. Take at least one hot bath

25. Change Gizmo's liter box

26. Transfer blog entries to Blogger

27. Take the Glassbooth.org quiz to confirm that you agree with Obama 88 percent of the time (as opposed to 64 percent for McCain)

28. Apologize to anyone in  the cast of "The Spitfire Grill" at Mill Mountain, there is no effing way you can do that.+

29. Watch "Californication" on Showtime+

30. Make sure you don't leave anything behind (THIS TIME!) on your way back to NC.

31. Continue planning trip to Philly

32. Don't spend too much time on the internet, but do be sure to download the latest edition of "Sound Opinions" on NPR and/or listen to this Turkish music show on WUVT/FM out of Virginia Tech.


33-40 Yes, you probably forgot at least eight other things, but if you do one-quarter of the things mentioned, you should treat yourself to a latte at Starbucks......oh, that's right, the doctor said: "NO CAFFEINE!"



*- The cat is in. One down, 39 to go.

+-Denotes the things I have actually done as of Sunday, Oct. 19

X-Marks the things I was not able to do this weekend. For those of you who might be fellow Unitarians, I got up at 11:51 a.m., on Sunday. The service started at 11:01 a.m.

Useful Links:

http://www.downtownroanoke.org

http://www.roanokefarmers.com

http://patsloan.typepad.com

Google Mill Mountain, The Grandin Theatre and Sound Opinions for their links, if you like!



Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Tilly, I saw "W" - though not at the Grandin, picked up an indie flick at the library, forgot to watch "Crash" on STARZ, swallowed some orange-mango juice this morning, may attend an Obama rally Saturday afternoon, thought about myriad short story ideas, glanced at the L.A. Times, bought a coffee drink with an impossibly long name at Starbuck's, took a hot shower before work, watched a bit of IMELDA on public TV, attempted to finish Gustavo Arellano's hilarious ORANGE COUNTY - only about 30 pgs to go!

Oh...I don't personally think that Jewish-AMERICANS are a repressed minority at all.

This blog isn't actually ending, is it?

Anonymous said...

I still love - and miss - downtown Roanoke! And wasn't Obama speaking there today?