Saturday, October 18, 2008

Quote of the Week- George W. Bush (on Tommy Thompson)

"Tommy is a good listener and a pretty good actor too."

El Presidente, of course, mixed up former Sen. Fred Thompson (R-Tenn), who was an actor on "Law and Order," with Bush administration cabinet member Tommy Thompson.

Both Thompsons ran for president, and both lost though they did fare better than former Virginia governor Jim Gilmore, who is getting pummeled  by  former  Democratic governor  Mark Warner  in  the race to fill a soon to be vacated U.S. Senate seat held by Sen. John Warner (R-Va)

I originally saw the line about Tommy Thompson in a "Doonesbury" comic strip that ran a few years ago.

"W" opened in theaters nationwide yesterday. My movie-blogging friends have reviews posted already. I saw it myself today at the Grandin Theatre in Roanoke. I'll simply say: "Thumbs Up!," but you can check out those extended reviews at the links down below.

I will simply add that Thandi Newton should get an Oscar-nomination for her brilliant take on Condi Rice.

I can't imagine that anyone could be as beneficial to a stand-up comedian as Bush, should they become the new el presidente. Oh right! I forgot about Sarah Palin.

Useful Links:

http://www.doonesbury.com

http://talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com

http://www.nerve.com/CS/screengrab/default.aspx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, Tilly, Newton's Condi Rice was so mannered and quirky the audience I watched it with would titter whenever she came on screen. I personally would have loved Oprah in the role - after her shedding many pounds, let's be honest - but I knew that wasn't in the cards. I loved Scott Glenn as Rumsfeld - wish he'd had more screen time - though my first choice was Nick Nolte.