Tuesday, October 7, 2008

16 People Who Will Decide the Presidency (9 of 16)

This will mark my first use of a real person in this series. The info came from yesterday's "USA Today." Alas, I could not find a photo of the subject on the web. Hence, the reason there is a map in his place.

Name: Dante Butler

Age: 28

Job: Facilities Mgr., in Jacksonville, Fla.

Voting for: Barack Obama

Butler, a married African-American with a 16-month old daughter, was among young voters who were profiled in a story about the new enthuiasm of voters under 30 in "USA Today."

He told the daily newspaper that his top concerns were the economy, the Iraq war, social security and jobs.

Butler said that he feels John McCain is an extension of George W. Bush, while Barack Obama shares his visions about universal health care and an exit strategy for Iraq.

Florida is a toss-up state which (as everyone knows) decided the 2000 presidential elections, with a little help from Clarence Thomas.

 

"The New York Times" has it listed as a 'yellow state' along with Virginia, New Hampshire, Ohio, Nevada and Colorado. But, Obama has gained momentum in The Sunshine State as he has done in poll after poll while the devastating economic collapse of Wall Street last week.

SIDEBAR: A Republican driving a van in the Roanoke, Va., area actually tried to literally run me off the road all because I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car! The driver also tailgated me as I was driving a school zone with flashing lights. He then gave me a thumbs down sign as he turned away. I promptly gave him a 'thumbs up' in return.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever noticed that Florida is shaped like a gun? It's something I observed years ago. Europe has the Italian Boot, and we have the Floridian Gun! And of course, the 80s Southern rock band .38 Special do happen to be from Jacksonville!