Thursday, October 16, 2008

Retro Big Mac Ad from the '70s....and other seemingly unrelated things

I got this idea from the fact that there have been many mentions of this Joe the Plumber guy from Ohio in Thursday night's presidential debate, and I was hoping to dig up some old Draino ads from the 1970s to 'cash in' on the media craze.

Amazingly enough, I couldn't find a single Draino commercial in the entire Youtube library, but I found his interesting ad for a Big Mac which I may have actually seen when I was watching "Bewitched" reruns as a kids.

We post this with apologies to one Chrissie Hynde of Akron, Ohio*, who is in some garage band called The Pretenders (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

I was also struck by how girl in the red coat in this ad looks like 2000 Canadian Olympic gymnast Yvonne Tousek, a Facebook friend of mine. Hmmm.... most of you might not know what Yvonne looks like. Well, it's effing 1:30 in the morning here, but, ok, whatthehell, here is a video of her on the balance beam, taken from a competition in 1996:


And, while we're at here's a song from The Pretenders, as sung by Scarlett Johansson**, who is alas not a Facebook friend of mine:



*- Earlier entry on Ms. Hynde last week here on this blog

**-Subject of blog entry from April (I think) in which I said that I wanted her to be my date for my 20th high school reunion, which was held three weeks ago, in Roanoke, Va. I ending up going stag, and Scarlett married some dorky actor.

PS_This is actually the very, very last entry for our blog. As Bob Hope said at the end of his prime time specials: "Thanks for the Memories."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A useless tidbit: I think one of the actors in the Big Mac spot - the young guy in tennis whites - played Jan Brady's husband in THE BRADY GIRLS GET MARRIED. Now everyone can go back to insignificant stuff like the election...

Anonymous said...

A useless tidbit: I think one of the actors in the Big Mac spot - the young guy in tennis whites - played Jan Brady's husband in THE BRADY GIRLS GET MARRIED. Now everyone can go back to insignificant stuff like the election...

Anonymous said...

A horrific reading of "Brass In Pocket". If Chrissie Hynde didn't already detest this song, she surely would now!

Anonymous said...

Tilly, don't forget to e-mail your 'stalker' in Bergen, Norway. Let him down gently.