Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Kenyan Wedding Crashers??!

While I was at a hotel in Durham, NC, I had a few minutes to surf the net. I decided arbitrarily to visit the homepage of The Roanoke Times to see the latest column from my good friend Tom Angleberger (see earlier entry below), and low and behold, I saw an article mentioning the marriage of my friend Agnetta Omukuba, a native of Kenya, who is also a student at Roanoke College. Agnetta was buying her dress at Patina's, an independent wedding dress/tuxedo business, on Rte. 419 near Tanglewood Mall. I think I went there to rent a tux for my sister's wedding in Blacksburg, Va., back in 1996. I believe it took less than 19 minutes. But, one of the reasons why Agnetta was chosen for this story about Patina's, which is on the verge of relocating (or was it closing? Hmmm. You always miss these little details when reaidng online), is because the wedding will take place on Aug. 12 in NAIROBI, KENYA!!! There will be 600 guests! And, the wedding party will consist of a whopping 19 members. I must profess though I know Kenyans wear shoes, don't hunt lions for their meals or ride zebras instead of taxi cabs, that I was amazed that Agnetta chose to wear a traditional (and expensive!) wedding dress. I met Agnetta while taking a French class at Virginia Western Community College. She did better than I did. Agnetta also acted in a Showtimers Theatre (community theatre in Roanoke) production of Arthur Miller's "The Crucible," which means that only can she speak better francais but she has also acted in one more Arthur Miller play than moi! Although, I did help a student at VWCC (where I later tutored) understand "Death of a Slaesman." I explained that Willy Loman was basically like Charlie Brown. You see they are both losers who think they are winners. I suppose that wouldn't quite work as a thesis topic. At any rate, if anyone wants to take after Vince Vaughn (who cares if he's sleeping with Jennifer Anniston) and Owen Wilson and crash Agnetta's wedding to a man who I've heard once ran the Boston Marathon, it will be quite expensive. A friend of mine who is flying from Birmingham, Ala. to Istanbul said it was costing him close to $2,000. Alas, Kenyan Airlines offers no flights from the USA to Kenya, but you can take a plane to Nairobi on their airlines from London, Amsterdam, Istanbul or Harare (that's the capital of Zimbabwe).

 

To read the article which mentions Agnetta, you can go to:

 

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/ubl74804

Other web sites to places/businesses mentioned in this entry include the following:

Roanoke College http://www.roanoke.edu

Showtimers Theatre http://www.showtimers.org

And, of course, Kenyan Airways: http://kenya-airways.com

If you do go to Nairobi, please show us the photos!

 

No comments: