Saturday, July 1, 2006

France beats Brazil- WOW!!!!

Viva La France!!! They are my favorite team in the World Cup (after the USA and Turkey- well, we didn't qualify this year...), and I am very pleased they won. Having said that, I did NOT watch the game. I did catch the last minutes of it while I was in Chapel Hill. France also beat Brazil in the 1998 World Cup final. They have Brazil's number!!!! I think it should be an interesting semi-finals. But, I think Germany has a clear advantage since they are playing at home though the Italians will be tough. I had also expected England to win today. I figured they would play incredibly well to make up for their lack-luster game against Ecuador, which they were fortunate to win 1-0. But, it was not to be as Portugal beat England in a shoot-out. I always hope that the World Cup will teach Americans more about geography, although I must profess that I'm not exactly sure where World Cup qualifier Togo is in Africa (I'm thinking that it's south of Ivory Coast-which also qualified), though I do know where the other 31 countries are. Togo had an interesting story in that their coach quit right as the World Cup started! I know if my high school soccer coach at Glenvar HS in Salem, Va., would have quit- I, for one, would have been absolutely delighted!

No comments: