Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Things Not to Say on Twitter.....




My mother recently got back from a vacation trip to Dublin, Ireland, and she brought back a copy of the Irish newspaper "Irish Independent" with her which had this interesting, yet disturbing story from that side of the pond.

The controversial British food critic/journalist Giles Coren (pictured here), 40, who once wrote a column defending the use of profanity in the English journal "The Spectator" posted what was actually a joking entry on Twitter about how he was going to get even with a 12-year-old kid living next door to him who got a drum set for Christmas, and was bothering him with the noise.

The tweet, posted on Jan. 14, said regarding the kid and his drum set: "For f***s sake. Do I kill him then burn it?"

According to the Irish Independent, Coren followed that with a tweet which said: "Child for sale. Partially chared. Has his own drum kit."

After getting considerable flack for these posts in the UK, Coren said: "Can I just say that I didn't kill the kid or (we won't go there, here!). Anyway, he's not real. And, I live in Vienna."

Coren apparently added the whole thing was much fuss about nothing. But, if I can make an editorial comment here, I'm glad Coren doesn't have kids.

I'm not sure I would make Father of the Year either since I would probably let my four-year-old boy (I don't have kids, thankfully!) watch "The Godfather" so he could absorb Gordon Willis' brilliant cinematography.

Incidentally, "The Godfather" airs at 4 p.m. on AMC on Valentine's Day. It will probably be the censored version, so you and your kids can watch it together!:)

No comments: