Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Ten Worst Films of 2009





This is meant to be a bit of a provacative list as I must profess that it is a stretch to proclaim that both "Avatar" and "District 9," as god-awful as they are, are WORSE than films like "The Final Destination" and "The Fourth Kind," particularly since both films made efforts to be good films and perhaps even more so because I am in a vast minority when it comes to people who despise those two films.

But, like all my lists, I chose this one carefully. It should be pointed out that "Paranormal Activity" was actually first made in 2007, but it did not get any real distribution until last year. At any rate, it really sucked!

It was also agonizing to see the basterdization of the wonderful "Pink Panther" cartoon, not to mention the films of the late great Peter Sellars. And, it is painful to see the once-great Steve Martin reduce himself to such lower depths.

Cameron Diaz (pictured here) gave the worst performance of the year in the horrific, sappy melodrama "My Sister's Keeper." But, she did redeem herself in "The Box," and thankfully she wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this part! (which I thought might actually happen, especially since Sandra Bullock got one for "The Blind Side.")


Here is the sure-to-controversial Worst Films of 2009 list. Alas, "Sherlock Holmes" just missed the cut!:

1. Avatar
2. District 9
3. The Final Destination
4. New Moon
5. My Sister's Keeper
6. The Fourth Kind
7. Paranomral Activity
8. The Pink Panther 2
9. The Unborn
10. Obsessed

No comments: