Monday, February 22, 2010

The Big Annoucement!!! My 40th Birthday Movie Party is On!






It indeed looks like plans for the screening of the 1984 cult classic "Gremlins" at the historic Grandin Theatre in Roanoke, Va., has a proverbial green light.

I must profess that putting something like this together is not as easy as going out for pizza and beer as one of my friends sugggested, but it looks like it will be all be worthwhile in the end.

"Gremlins" will screen at midnight on March 6 at the Grandin. My 40th birthday is actually on March 4, but that date does not fall on a Saturday night.

Interestingly enough, "Gremlins" is also showing this week at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, Calif.

I got the idea to screen "Gremlins" in particular from my friend Joe Scott who showed the film as part of his Mixed Tape Series in Greensboro, NC, in December.

The 1984 film features Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates and Corey Feldman. It was directed by Joe Dante.

Here are some interesting tid-bits I learned from the film through the Internet Movie Database:

-Like the Wicked Witch in "The Wizard of Oz," Mrs. Deagle has little tolerance for young people and dogs.

-The movie that Lynn Peltzer is watching in her kitchen is "It's a Wonderful Life."

-Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez (both were in "The Breakfast Club") were considered for the role of Billy played by Galligan.

-Several references to Dante's earlier film "The Howling" (1981) are in "Gremlins."

-The original cut of the film ran for two hours and 40 minutes!

PS_ The film's central character Gizmo is also the name of my tuxedo cat who just bit and scratched me this morning, but he also licked my hand (I think he could be schizo!). We profiled the no-kill cat shelter Safe Haven for Cats in Raleigh, NC, a short time ago.

No comments: