Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy 30th Birthday (in advance) to Yvonne Tousek




As I prepare for my own milestone birthday next week (I'll be turning 40), I thought I would wish former Canadian Olympic gymnast Yvonne Tousek a happy 30th birthday. She turns 30 on Tuesday.

Tousek competed at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

She also won three NCAA team titles as a member of the UCLA Bruins (from 2001-04), a team which also featured American Olympians Jamie Dantzcher, Kristen Maloney and Mohini Bhardwaj in addition to Tousek's Canadian Olympic teammate Kate Richardson.

Tousek was also a member the 1999 Canadian gymnastics team which upset the United States during the Pan-Am Games in Winnipeg, Canada, where she won gold in the floor exercise competition.

The Ontario-native is one of my favorite college gymnasts of all-time, and I have been following college gymnastics since I was in college! Her sister Chantelle Tousek competed for the University of Florida, which has its own highly regarded program.

According to the gymnastics fans web site couch-gymnast.com, the elder Tousek was known for her quirky and fun floor exercise routines.

In more recent years, Tousek performed in the Cirque de Soleil show Corteo.

We wish her a very happy birthday!

No comments: