Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year's from Hong Kong Phooey




I am now approaching (hmmm..., actually we just passed it) the two hour mark in my New Year's Eve all-night-blogathon. I sincerely appreciate the fact that my good friend Shirley Madison from Bethesda, Md.*, has to work tomorrow.

But, I still have lots or work to do before I check to see who won the Calgary Flames-Edmonton Oilers hockey game on nhl.com (I think the Flames were winning when I last checked?!).

At any rate, we chose my personal favorite cartoon character from my youth Hong Kong Phooey** (ok, I have said that before about Dynomutt- another Hanna Barbera cartoon. His show aired in 1978) to greet in the new year.

While researching this piece, I was shocked to find out that Hong Kong Phooey (which is now being made into a feature film?!) consisted of a mere 16 episodes during its run from 1974-76.

We must have been watching reruns!

*-this is pseudonym and the person does not live in suburban Maryland........

**-Hong Kong Phooey was voiced by the late actor Scatman Crothers

UPDATE- The Calgary Flames beat the Edmonton Oilers by a score of 2-1. Hopefully, those at the game had a more enjoyable time than those of us who spent New Year's Eve at a Starbucks in High Point, NC***

***-Well, I was at a Starbucks but it was somewhere else besides High Point. Though I believe they have three Starbucks in that town.......!

No comments: