Friday, December 18, 2009

Kobe Bryant Is the 400th Person I'm Following On Twitter




I am not actually a Los Angeles Lakers fan, but luck would have it, their star player Kobe Bryant is now the 400th person I'm following on Twitter (singer Neko Case actually became the 430th a few minutes ago!).

It is amazing that I am now perhaps even more hooked on Twitter than I am on Facebook. It's a good thing I'm single and have no children though Gizmo the family cat might need to be fed again here in a few minutes.

One of the things I like most about Twitter is that I get to 'follow' people. Though I do follow a few friends and family, most of the people I follow are shameless celebrities like Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Pee-wee Herman and Chevy Chase- to name a few!

Of course, there is the danger that the person you are following is only pretending to be someone famous, which I suspect is the case with 'Molly Ringwald.' Matt Taibbi, a political and sports writer for "Rolling Stone" who is now being talked about in the media for his surprising anti-Obama diatribe (which I differ with), claimed that a person using his name on Twitter was not really him.

I am also following politicians ranging from the far-left like Cong. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and the far, far right like Cong. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) as well as more mainstream political figures like Al Gore, John McCain and Joe Biden (who is also following me?!).

Twitter has also allowed me a chance to follow respected pundits,journalists and film critics like Roger Ebert (Chicago Sun-Times), Peter Travers (Rolling Stone), Paul Krugman (The New York Times), Andrew Sullivan (The Atlantic), Michael Crowley (The New Republic) and Ezra Klein (The Washington Post).

I'm even following the fictional Fox News reporter Roland Hedley, who is actually a character in the comic strip "Doonesbury."

And, then there are the hockey teams! I'm actually following eight of them, including the Carolina Hurricanes and the Toronto Maple Leafs (neither of those teams is in Stanley Cup contention, trust me!).

I would write more but I'm wondering what Brooke Burke is up to. Perhaps, she's going to play Twister with her kids.

No comments: