Tuesday, April 21, 2009

True Confessions- 9 of 11- Michael Jackson T-shirt






The year was 1984. The place was the little town of New Market, Va., in the Shenandoah Valley. It was truly an awful time in my life as my father had recently died, my mother remarried a man I didn't get along with and I relocated to a new school.

But, there were some happy times such as this venture to New Market where the town was conducting its annual Civil War reenactment.

There was also a carnival in town, and they had several games. One of which was a basketball shooting contest. Much to my shock and amazement, I shot three consecutive hoops in a row to actually win the game.

But, when it came time to choose a prize there was a surprisingly limited selection. And, much to my surprise I decided to select a cheap Michael Jackson t-shirt for my 'grand prize.'

I would actually wear the very unhip t-shirt to Glenvar High School in Salem, Va., one time. Well, perhaps, I was stupid enough to wear it a second time.

It would actually shrink very quickly, and it would disappear from my wardrobe altogehter after a short amount of time.

But, hey it was like the last time I won something until I scored a Pink Floyd LP from the now defunct Rock-105 in Blacksburg, Va., when I was a senior in high school.

I recently saw a copy of Jackson's mega-hit lp "Thriller" at a flea market in Greensboro, NC. Surprisingly, it was going for $10, which was actually more than what I paid for one in 1983. But, like my t-shirt, my "Thriller" record is nowhere to be found.......at all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of The Gloved One, I saw his memorabilia collection today in Beverly Hills. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...1984...I graduated high school, started an endless collegiate career, began my first job, bought a moped, first saw THE GODFATHER, stupidly sold my X-Men collection, and realized an essential fact about myself.

Unknown said...

There is actually a Michael Jackson tribute band called BAD, which performed at the Cat's Cradle a few months ago. I believe they are based in NC.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT I'd like to see!