Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Zip Code USA- 20814 Bethesda, Md.




When I think of suburbia, there are a few places which seem to fit the word perfectly. They include Cary, NC (suburb of Raleigh), Cherry Hill, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia) and Bethesda, Md. (suburb of Washington DC).

According to Wikipedia, Bethesda is an unincorporated jurisdiction which is named after the Bethesda Presbyterian Church.

Bethesda is also among the most affluent zip codes in the country as "Money" magazine ranked the community #11 in terms of education and income levels.

20814 is also home to the Bethesda Naval Hospital, Burning Tree Club (all-male golf club mention in a "Seinfeld" episode), the Bethesda Playhouse and the White Flint Mall (pictured, actually in N. Bethesda).

Bethesda also boasts a summer league baseball team The Bethesda Big Train, which consists of college players.

But, perhaps the most unique thing about Bethesda is that it was the setting for the book "The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants," which I believe was made into a movie.


Previous Entries in Series:

Bethlehem, Pa.

Burlington, Vt.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an aunt and cousins in Cherry Hill, but I've never visited the town.

Unknown said...

I went to Cherry Hill once. We stayed there during a high school field trip to Philly in 1987.

Anonymous said...

When I moved to Long Island, I just missed an upper-grade school trip to Philly. Oh, well, I had a one hour Greyhound layover in that city two days before Xmas. Guess that'll have to do for now. Did you visit the Museum Of Art? Impressive structure, very ancient Greek in its architecture.

Unknown said...

No art museum. Just historical stuff, ie. Betsy Ross house. I think you were reading this as I was actually adding a new entry!