Friday, September 21, 2007

We are Two Years Old!

I want to thank all my sponsors..........Smith-Stokes Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Reidsville, NC. ....The Boutique Hypnotica_Retailer for Leather Goods, Hair Dye, Incense, Candles and Tapestries in downtown Greensboro.........My Cousin Vinny's_ Pizza, Pasta and More in downtown Winston-Salem.......The Eden Drive-in in Eden, NC_ now showing the South Korean Godzilla-ripoff  "Dragon Wars" along with "Balls of Fury"............and The Grandin Theatre in Roanoke, Va._ now showing "Eastern Promises" by acclaimed director David Cronenberg...........

In all seriousness, it has been fun!

I have to thank my friends Moviezzz, Christopher Knight and Beth Wellington for providing links to my blog.

When I posted my first entry on this date in 2005, I simply wanted to start a blog which reflected both my eccletic tastes and an Turkish-American from southwest Virginia's perspective on this crazy world we live in.

I haven't had any problems with disturbing people as some bloggers have. I have tried to be a bit more careful when hearing about how a female blogger from Boulder, Col., was threatened by some strange nutcase in a sexually and violently explicit way.  

I have only had one strange response to one of my posts and that was from some right-wing extremist who seemingly thought my post about immigration from Iraq was about Hispanic immigrants here. He then said we all needed to vote for Fred Dalton Thompson. It is not a view I share, although I welcome anyone with anything useful to say regardless of their politics.

On occasion, I have even mentioned thoughts from people like Armenian-American activist/journalist Appo Jabarian, whose views I generally differ with for reasons which are far too complicated to explain here, because I think all bloggers need to think outside their own cyber-sandbox.

Recently, I even ranked former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney (R) as being the best political presidential campaigner along with Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), even though he (Romney) is not the person I want to most see as the occupant of The White House come 2008.

I have also tried to bring attention to people like Greensboro folk singer Bruce Piephoff and Salt Lake City artist Joe Bankhead, who are both proverbial local heroes who are more far fascinating than the likes of either Britney or Paris.

And, I have also tried to focus on films, theatre and the arts_ whether it be acult film with '70s Turkish cinema matinee idol Cuneyt Arkin or a documentary about a prison in California or a relevant poet, modern dancer or Russian rock band (I've done one posting each on The Red Elvises and on Gogol Bordello).

I haven't had as many hits as some bloggers and most of those reading this blog know me personally. But, this has given me a chance to make postings about more personal things, such as the recent marriage of my friend Ugur Celikkol in Bursa, Turkey.

With that in mind, I hope to be on here many years from now regardless of who reads or doesn't read my blog.

A note about my 'advertisers.' There are no real advertisers to this blog, though AOL posts some, since they are my server. All the 'ads' that were mentioned from the top came mostly from the June issue of "The Piedmont Triad Hippo."

The Grandin Theatre and the Eden Drive-In were not mentioned in that publication. But, they are both showing those films that I had alluded too.

Useful links:

http://www.thegrandintheatre.com

http://www.edendrivein.com

 

No comments: