Thursday, September 6, 2007

Congrats to My Friend Ugur Celikkol on His Marriage

One of the nice things about a blog that gets considerably fewer hits than those of my friends like Christopher Knight and Moviezzz is that I can personal things without fear of sounding well, a bit too personal.

Though my good friend of 20 years Ugur Celikkol lives far away in Bursa, Turkey, we have always managed to keep in touch. Ugur is a highly succesful tour business operator in Bursa and his family has managed the Karagoz Antique Shops in Bursa, Turkey's fourth largest city and a former Ottoman capital, for two generations.

On Saturday, Ugur is getting married! While I can not be there in person, I certainly wish him and his new wife much happiness. I am sure they will have many happy years together_ size mutlu yillar diliyorum, arkadasim!

The Celikkols are also very active in perserving Turkish shadow puppet theatre, best known for the primary character of Karagoz (Black Eye) and Hacivat....I have always viewed Karagoz as a semi-literate figure who symbolizes traditional Turkish village life while Hacivat is a sophisticated man who represents the urbanized Turkish intellectual. The Celikkols involvement in this cause has always impressed me very much.  

Ugur is also a fan club president for the local Bursa soccer team, BursaSpor aka The Bursa Crocodilees (see earlier entry).

Anyone wishing to send best wishes can leave them here as a comment or email me at turkam@yahoo.com

Ugur's Travel Business, which has tour trips in both Turkey and Greece can be linked too at:

http://www.karagoztravel.com

 

No comments: