Thursday, June 7, 2007

"How To Be Happy"????!

This week I have heard from my friend Regan Kennedy, who resides in Altoona, Pa.

She and I are both big fans of alternative comic strips. Her favorite is "Red Meat," while my favorite is "Too Much Coffee Man."

"TMCM" is a strip that revolves a man whose head is shaped like a coffee cup, and he can not function unless he has his fill. As a lifelong insomniac, I identify with the strip and its worldview all too well!

Alas, (mr) Shanon Wheeler, the author of "TMCM" has seemingly stopped drawing that strip, which also appeared in comic book form. Wheeler, who now lives in Portland, Or., though he was initially in Austin, Tx., did make a magazine out of "TMCM," which featured actual letters from prison inmates and off-beat poetry as well as other alternative strips. But, I am not sure if the magazine, which I once found at Ram's Head Book Store in Roanoke, is still in publication.

But, Wheeler does continue the "TMCM" web site, and he is drawing a new strip entitled "How to Be Happy." Wheeler actually emailed me back a few years ago. I may be his lone Turkish-American fan.

Here is the dialogue of his latest installment of the ironically titled "How to be Happy:"

The strip takes place aboard a spaceship.

Panel 1_Girl: "This isn't working."

Panel 2_ Girl: "It's not your fault. We've grown in different directions."

Panel 3_Girl: "My feelings for you have faded."

Panel 4_ Girl: "I don't love you any more."

Panel 5_ Girl: "I think we should try spending more time apart. I want you to move out."

Panel 6_ Boy (in outer space looking at the spaceship): CRAP!

Links:

http://www.tmcm.com

 

No comments: