Friday, June 8, 2007

Back to Movies- Albert Brooks' "Modern Romance"

Wow, it appears that my ratings are actually lower than the last CMT broadcast of the Miss America Pageant! Perhaps, I will get more hits by coming back to film_ which is my suppose topic of expertise.

I saw the new film "Knocked Up" yesterday, and I found it a tad bit disappointing.

All of this reminded me of a nobler film about modern romance, and that film is "Modern Romance," Albert Brooks' vintage 1981 comedy about a neurotic b-movie editor who tries to maintain an off-again, on-again relationship with his beloved Mary (Kathryn Harrold).

The film was released by Sony on dvd last year, and it was the May/June 2006 "Film Comment" recommendation by the magazine's editor Gavin Smith.

In his comments, Smith said: "It's hard to imagine a more quietly terrifying comedy about relationships, or a less romantic one- no wonder (Stanley) Kubrick was such an ardent fan."

I saw this film a few years ago on cable, and I think it is perhaps the funniest film that Brooks wrote and directed with "Lost in America" (1985) being a close second.

Alas, Brooks' most recent effort is the flat, boring film "Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World" which does for some odd reason have a few admirers.

Nevertheless, one can see Brooks at his best here. He also stars in the film.

Well, worth a look..............Judd Apatow, the director of "Knocked Up" may want to take note.....

Film Comment's web site:

http://www.filmlinc.com

 

 

No comments: