Saturday, April 7, 2007

Unique Plays at Hollins U and in Greensboro, NC

Since my blog has been bogged down with some dated entries, such as the one about my cousin Miks Dawkins' alma mater Winthrop University advancing in the NCAA tourney, I thought I would add three new entries tonight.

I will conclude with the following info about two theatrical productions in Roanoke, Va, my hometown and Greensboro, NC, where I seem to be spending a lot of time these days.

At Hollins University in Roanoke, ironically one of my three alma maters (it is an all-girls school at the undergrad level for those of you outside the RV area), there will be a production of Stephen Sondheim and James Lepine's Tony-Award winning musical "Into the Woods." The production will be directed by Ernest Zulia, who has put together some solid productions at the school. The story is a a compilation of stories from fractured fairy tale characters, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel. The show runs from April 11-13 at 7:30 p.m. and from Apr. 14-15 at 2 p.m. The ticket is free for members of the Hollins community and $7 for the public. More info: 540-362-6517

The community theatre group Livestock Players in Greensboro, NC, is performing William Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," which many theatre-goers know is also the basis for the musical "Kiss Me, Kate," will be performed at  the City  Studio Arts Studio  on  Davies  Street in downtown Greensboro. The show  is performed  from Apr. 20-21 and Apr. 26-29 at 8 pm, with Sunday shows being at 2 pm. I can not confirm this but I think Stephen Hyers, who I know from the GSO Playwrighting Group, might very well be directing the show. Hyers last directed the musical "A Secret Garden" for the LiveStock Players last year. More info at 336-335-6426

No comments: