Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cindy Sheehan in Greensboro and my Va. Tech column

Over the weekend, while I was back home in Salem, Va., a city that is a mere 35 miles from Virginia Tech, there was an anti-war protest by activist Cindy Sheehan. She was greeted by right wing bikers, yada yada...........According to an article by Sonja Elmquist, a talented reporter at "The (Greensboro) News-Record" who I met while working at a paper in nearby Reidsville (but who alas never speaks to me, as if it was her paper that I walked out on), there was no repeat of a certain incident in 1979 that locals know about all too well (it involved the KKK and the Communist Party and resulted in the deaths of four or five people- ugly!) and that was thanks to the Gsb PD.- who says people of my political persuasion don't like cops!

 The mood of the protesters and those of us who oppose the war was perhaps best summed up by retired Air Force Capt. Cam McQuaid, 63, of Chapel Hill (love that name!): "I dropped a bomb on Vietnam," McQuaid said. "And, I wake up crying now."

I am sure Jordan Green, who unlike Elmquist does return my emails, and other talented reporters from "Yes Weekly," a weekly paper in Greensboro, will have their own story about Sheehan on Greene Street. Their publication is also (I'm hoping!) slated to publish my column on Virginia Tech and why it is a special place to me even though I went to nearby Radford University (see entry below). The new "Yes Weekly" comes out tomorrow.

I am off to some western state known for .....well, Mormons :) My apologies to the great state of Utah- sometime ,I need to blog about the BYU Democrats who organized a protest against  (Vice) Pres. Cheney's commencement speech there.

Elmquist's article can be found (somewhere) at:

http://www.news-record.com

"Yes Weekly" can be found at:

http://www.yesweekly.com

And, when I have more time, I will add a link to the Greensboro Police Dept. I really mean that:)

I hope they found that crazy homeless guy who always pesters me on Elm Street......... 

 

 

No comments: